Monday, July 25, 2011

Go to church!




Two bags in the fore of Four Mile Run Creek are evidence of a new fervor that is shaking, quaking, and remaking religious conventions. Is it time to redefine church?


Monday, 8:16 pm, is not the typical time to go to church. But then again, I’ve never been a typical churchgoer.

That’s why when I headed to Four Mile Run Creek just past quarter after eight, I knew I would be attending the best hour of “church” in my life.

Instead of sitting in a pew, playing add the gospel numbers on the wall, count the light fixtures on the ceiling, or repeat the Mortal Combat blood code to keep from being swallowed up by boredom, today, I spent my hour of church outside picking up trash.

Today’s post is a shout-out to my friend Jeff, who, in high school, dreamt of a society that would come together once a week and split the responsibilities necessary for day-to-day living. As Jeff saw it this could be the equivalent of going to church. One task the group could do, for example, would be to lift up a huge heavy object. This heavy object would then spend the rest of the week acquiescing to gravity while generating electricity for the community on its slow downward descent. Thus the whole group would have partnered in maintaining a clean, self-sustaining, source of energy.

Though, I am definitely not part of a utopian society, nor doing anything revolutionary, my hour of “church” was more productive and more conducive to the way I value spirituality. Today, I got to listen to a Spanish podcast, instead of a priest droning on. And after the hour, I walked away with one full-trash bag of recyclables and one full bag of trash, instead of sitting idly in mass.

The idea of church is glorious. Coming together as a community to rally around good morals, ethics, and peace is always a beautiful thing. Though my hour of church did not take place in a traditional setting, I would argue that my service was just as relevant as any other.

Since religion is entirely dogmatic, based on unproven or unprovable principles, it is entirely up to the individual to be a believer of any given faith. Armed with the power of choice and reason, it makes the most sense to believe in what corresponds to your personal quest for life, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness. Alas, loyal readers…GO TO CHURCH!

1 comment:

  1. C.H.U.R.C.H

    Citizens Hoping for Utopia, Removing Clutter for Harmony

    ReplyDelete